The Transition Period provided for in the Withdrawal Agreement of the United Kingdom (UK) from the European Union (EU) ended on 31 December 2020. As from that date, the Trade and Cooperation Agreement between the EU and the UK will come into force, which guarantees the continuity of air connections under practically the same conditions as at present. However, some questions associated with transport may vary slightly, for example, the rights offered as a passenger. We recommend that you request information from your transport company or travel agency regarding the specific conditions that apply.

Furthermore, to travel between the UK and Spain, or vice versa, you must have a valid passport and, although no visa is required for short stays, it is possible that your passport may be stamped. We recommend you consult the information published on the web pages of the Spanish and British Governments regarding requirements on the entry and stay in each of the countries you may start your visit from.

As from 1 January 2021, British nationals, like any other national from a third country, must comply with the entry requirements established in the Schengen Border Code, including the need to justify the purpose and conditions of the planned stay and have sufficient means of subsistence, both for the period of the stay scheduled and for the return, and ensure that the stay does not exceed 90 days out of any period of 180 days. British nationals must identify themselves with their passport and will be exempt from visa requirements.

British nationals that are beneficiaries of the Withdrawal Agreement will be exempt from the requirements indicated above, as will British nationals who, as from the date indicated, obtain a residency authorisation in Spain under the general regime.

Frequently Asked Questions:


Is a visa necessary to travel from the UK to Spain?

No. As from 1 January 2021, British nationals will continue to be exempt from the obligation to hold a visa when crossing the EU's external borders for short stays (up to 90 days in any period of 180 days). This visa exemption does not provide for the right to work in the EU and is subject to the reciprocity mechanism applicable to third countries.

Will there be border controls?

As from 1 January 2021, British nationals that travel to the EU or the Schengen Area will be treated as nationals from third parties and hence be subject to controls at Schengen Area borders. This means that planned stays in the territory of EU Member States cannot exceed 90 days in any period of 180 days and British nationals will have to comply with the entry conditions applicable to nationals of third countries.

What happens if I travel with a pet?

If you are travel with a pet, you may continue to do so, but you will need the British health authorities to issue the corresponding animal health certificate and arrive through a port or airport authorised to this end. For more information, consult the web page of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food.

Will Spain recognise my British driving licence?

As from 1 January 2021, driving licences issued in the United Kingdom will no longer benefit from mutual recognition pursuant to EU law. In Spain, valid driving licences that remain in force and have been issued by the British authorities will enable their holders to drive in our country for a period of six months as from 1 January 2021. Once this period has expired, the regime provided for licences issued by third countries will apply, under the terms regulated in prevailing traffic legislation, unless the Kingdom of Spain and the United Kingdom reach a bilateral agreement that recognises the exchange of their driving licences.

Will I have access to healthcare in Spain?

Yes, the Protocol on Social Security Coordination of the Trade and Commerce Agreement between the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community, on the one hand, and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, on the other, provides for the health coverage of a British tourist staying in Spain. British nationals should contact the British institution to ascertain which document substantiating their rights will be issued to them.

Please consult any queries you may have on travel from the United Kingdom to Spain at


What are the requirements to travel with pets from the UK to Spain?

As from 1 January 2021, all pets from Great Britain and its dependent territories (Northern Ireland is excluded) must arrive through a port or airport authorised as a Point of Entry for Travellers together with a health certificate. For more information, view the corresponding section (dogs, cats and ferrets/birds/other species).

What are the requirements to travel with pets from Spain to the UK?

No changes in the health requirements have been established to take animals from Spain to the UK, and hence they may continue to travel with the European Pet Passport issued in Spain or by any other EU-27 country (those issued in Great Britain will not be valid, although those issued in Northern Ireland will be). It will be necessary to have microchip identification, a valid rabies vaccination and deworming treatment within five days prior to travelling. For more information, see the corresponding section (dogs, cats and ferrets/birds/other species)

Personal Lugagge

Will personal luggage be subject to any type of additional control?

As from 1 January 2021, all personal luggage of passengers that travel between Great Britain and its dependent territories (Northern Ireland is excluded) and Spain, and postal consignments and any type of package may not include products of animal origin.

Nor may plant products be carried unless you have the corresponding phytosanitary certificate.

Non official translation

< Brexit How to prepare Citizens