Foreign contributors

The Social Security recorded 41,440 more foreign affiliates in August, up to a total of 2,419,877 people

News - 2022.9.20

If February 2020 - before the impact of the pandemic - is taken as the reference, the system shows an increase of 230,000 foreign workers.

This figure in August represents 12.1% of the total affiliates, in seasonally adjusted terms.

Average monthly affiliation

In average and non-seasonally adjusted terms, the Social Security had 2,437,491 foreign contributors in July, of whom 834,461 were from European Union countries (34.2%) and 1,603,030 from third countries (the remaining 65.8%). This is 14,001 less than in the previous month. A total of 55.8% were men (1,358,729) and 44.2% women (1,078,762).

The largest groups of foreign workers came from Romania (330,155), Morocco (277,937), Italy (163,819), Colombia (123,850) and Venezuela (119,235).

More than 60,000 Ukrainian affiliates

In addition, and among the various nationalities, there are 60,469 affiliates from Ukraine. Their numbers have been growing steadily since the beginning of the Russian invasion. This is 12,891 more than in February, the month before the impact of the war.

The majority of workers from Ukraine working in our country, around 70%, are covered by the General Regime, i.e. they are salaried workers and 9% are self-employed.

New statistical information

As of this month, the Excel spreadsheet with the data on the affiliation of foreign workers includes a new section, with data on foreign affiliates by nationality, regime and sex.

According to this data, of the countries with the most workers in the system, it is only among Venezuelan nationals where there are more female employees (50,043) than male employees (47,857). In terms of self-employed people, in the five most numerous nationalities, most are male.

The majority of foreigners, a total of 2,032,319, or 83.3%, contribute to the General Regime.

The self-employed regime has 399,520 foreign affiliates. Of the total number of self-employed foreign workers, 15.4% are Chinese, followed by those from Romania (11.1%) and Italy (8.9%).

In terms of sectors, increases in Household activities (5.4%), Energy supply (3.1%), Health care activities (1.6%), Water supply (1.6%) and Recreational activities (1.4%) stand out. The sharpest decreases were recorded in education (-10.7%) and agriculture (-6%).

Regional governments

In the last month, the average affiliation of foreigners increased markedly in Cantabria, Asturias and the Canary Islands, with 1.3% more employed, followed by Navarre (1.2%). The average affiliation of foreigners fell, among other regions, in Castilla-La Mancha (-7%), Murcia (-4.3%) and Aragon (-1.8%),

In the past twelve months, the average affiliation of workers from other countries has grown 9.8%, i.e., it has gained 217,394 employed persons.

Non official translation