The new Cabinet is formed by two Vice Presidents and fifteen Ministers. There are two new Ministries -namely, Science and Innovation and Equality- and there are three Ministries that change names - namely, Education, Social Policies and Sports; Work and Immigration and Environment, Rural and Seaside Areas-.
Maria Teresa Fernandez de la Vega and Pedro Solbes remain First and Second Vice Presidents, respectively, as had already been announced by the President.
Miguel Angel Moratinos, Mariano Fernandez Bermejo, Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba, Magdalena Alvarez, Elena Salgado, Cesar Antonio Molina and Bernat Soria also remain in their respective Ministries.
Carme Chacon becomes Minister of Defence, Elena Espinosa becomes Minister of Environment and Mercedes Cabrera becomes Minister of Social Policies.
There are five new Ministers: Celestino Corbacho, Miguel Sebastian, Beatriz Corredor, Cristina Garmendia and Bibiana Aido.
First Vice President, Minister of the Presidency and Spokesman
Maria Teresa Fernandez de la Vega Sanz
- Born in Valencia the 15th of June 1949.
- Degree of Law, the Complutense University of Madrid.
- Member of the Association of Court Secretaries of the Labour Jurisdiction.
- Director of the Cabinet of the Minister of Justice (1982).
- General Director of the Service Department of the Ministry of Justice (1985).
- Head attorney of the Staff Department of the General Council of the Judiciary.
- Magistrate (1989).
- Board Member of the General Council of the Judiciary elected by the Senate (1990).
- State Secretary of Justice (1994).
- National deputy of the PSOE in Jaen (1996).
- National deputy of the PSOE in Segovia (2000).
- General Secretary of the Socialist Parliamentary Group during the 7th Legislature.
- Deputy of the Congress for Madrid in the General Election of 14th of March 2004.
- First Vice President, Minister of the Presidency and Government Spokesman since 18th of April 2004.
Second Vice President and Minister of Economy and Financial Affairs
Pedro Solbes Mira • Born in Pinoso (Alicante) the 31st of August 1942.
- Degree in Law, Complutense University of Madrid.
- PhD in Political Science at the Complutense University of Madrid.
- State Commercial Expert.
- He worked at the Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Economy and Financial Affairs, where he played an essential role during the negotiations for the admission of Spain into the European Union.
- State Secretary for the European Communities (1985).
- Minister of Agriculture, Fishing and Food (1991).
- Minister of Economy and Financial Affairs (1993).
- Deputy for Alicante during the General Election in 1996.
- Member of the European Commission in charge of Financial and Monetary Affairs (September 1999).
- Minister of Economy and Financial Affairs since the 18th of April 2004.
- Deputy of the Congress for Madrid in the General Election of last 9th of March 2008
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation
Miguel Angel Moratinos Cuyaube • Born in Madrid the 8th of June 1951.
- Degree in Law and Political Sciences. Degree in Diplomacy Studies.
- Head Director of the Department for the Coordination of Western Europe in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (1974).
- Diplomatic representative of Spain in Yugoslavia and Morocco.
- General Sub director for Northern Africa (1987).
- Director of the Centre for Cooperation with the Arab World (1991).
- General Director of the Department of Foreign Policy for Africa and the Middle East (1993).
- Ambassador of Spain in Israel (June-December 1996).
- Special envoy of the European Union during the peace process in the East until June 2003.
- Congress Deputy for Cordoba during the General Election of 14th of March 2004.
- Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation since the 18th of April 2004.
- Congress deputy for Cordoba during the General Election of 9th of March 2008.
Minister of Justice
Mariano Fernandez Bermejo • Born in 1948, in Arenas de San Pedro (Avila).
- Degree in Law, Complutense University of Madrid, in November 1969. Expert in Community Law, Complutense University of Madrid.
- He worked as a Teacher of Criminal Law at the Faculty of Law of the University of Extremadura, he was a teacher at the Faculty of Law of the UNED and he was a Teacher of the Centre for Legal Studies of the Administration of Justice.
- He started to work as an Attorney in 1974 and he was Public Prosecutor of the Provincial Courts of Santa Cruz de Tenerife and Caceres, he was also Deputy Prosecutor in the Provincial Court of Segovia and Director of Public Prosecution in the Provincial Court of Segovia.
- In September 1986 he was appointed Executive Advisor of the Ministry of Justice.
- Prosecutor at the Supreme Court of Justice since June 1989.
- Director of Public Prosecution in the Supreme Court of Justice of the Community of Madrid between July 1992 and July 2003, when he left that post and started to work as a Prosecutor for Suits under Administrative Law in the Prosecutor's Office in Madrid.
- In July 2004 he was appointed Director of Public Prosecution in the Department for Suits under Administrative Law of the Supreme Court of Justice.
- Between April 2005 and February 2006 he was President of the Commission in charge of studying and writing the draft to modify the Organic Statute of the Department of Public Prosecutions.
- Minister of Justice since the 9th of February 2007.
- Congress Deputy for Murcia in the General Election of last 9th of March 2008.
Minister of Defence
Carme Chacon Piqueras • Born in Esplugues de Llobregat (Barcelona), the 13th of March 1971.
- Degree in Law in the University of Barcelona.
- First Deputy Mayor and Delegate Councillor of the Department of Economic Services, Human Resources and Citizens' Security in the City Council of Esplugues de LLobregat (Barcelona).
- Secretary of Justice in the National Executive Commission of the PSC-PSOE, in 2000.
- Member of the National Executive Commission of the PSC-PSOE since June 2000.
- Secretary of Education, University, Culture and Research of the Federal Executive Commission of the PSOE between July 2000 and July 2004.
- Secretary of Culture of the Federal Executive Commission of the PSOE, elected during the 36th Federal Congress of the PSOE, in July 2004.
- International Observer for the OSCE in Bosnia-Herzegovina in 1996 and in Albania in 1997
- Congress Deputy for Barcelona during the General Election of March 2000 and March 2004.
- First Vice President of the Congress of Deputies, elected by the Chamber the 2nd of April 2004.
- Minister of Housing from the 6th of April 2007.
- Congress Deputy for Barcelona in the General Election of last 9th of March 2008.
Minister of the Interior
Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba • Born in 1951 in Solares (Cantabria).
- PhD in Chemistry, Complutense University of Madrid, where he is a Teacher of Organic Chemistry.
- He has worked at the University of Constance (Germany) and at the University of Montpellier (France).
- He was Director of the Technical Cabinet of the State Secretariat of Universities and Research in December 1982 and until his appointment as General Director of University Studies on May 1985 and he remained in this post until the 25th of September 1986, when he was appointed General Secretary of Education.
- On the 29th of July 1988 he was appointed State Secretary of Education and on the 23rd of June 1992 he was appointed Minister of Education and Science. On the 13th of July 1993 he became Minister of the Presidency and he remained in this post until the 6th of May 1996.
- During the 5th Legislature he was Congress Deputy for Toledo.
- During the 6th Legislature he was elected Deputy for Madrid and Spokesman of the Socialist Group at the Parliament during the Commission of Science and Technology.
- Congress Deputy for Cantabria in the General Election of the 14th of March 2004
- Minister of the Interior since the 11th of April 2006.
- Congress Deputy for Cadiz in the General Election of last 9th of March 2008
Minister of Education, Social Policies and Sports
Mercedes Cabrera Calvo-Sotelo • Born in Madrid, 3rd of December 1951. Married. Two children.
- PhD in Political Science and Sociology, Complutense University of Madrid and, since 1996 Chairman of the Department of History of Thought, Social and Political Movements in the Complutense University of Madrid.
- PSOE deputy for Madrid since 2004.
- Elected President of the Commission of Education and Science of the Congress of Deputies in 2004.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Pablo Iglesias Foundation and President of the Association of Friends of the Student Halls of Residence.
- Author of the biography of Nicolas Maria de Urgoiti (1868-1951), businessman and founder of the newspaper "El Sol" (1995); author of the book entitled "The power of businessmen. Politics and Economy in contemporary Spain (1875-2000)" ("El poder de los empresarios. Politica y economia en la Espana contemporanea (1875-2000)"), published in 2002 and finalist for the National Award of History in November 2003.
- Minister of Education and Science between April 2006 and April 2008.
Minister of Work and Immigration
Celestino Corbacho Chaves • Born in Valverde de Leganes (Badajoz) the 14th of November 1949. Married. Currently living in L'Hospitalet de Llobregat (Barcelona).
- Businessmen. He becomes a member of the Socialist Party of Catalonia (PSC) in 1976. This is the starting point of his intense political life, as he forms part of different electoral lists, until 1983, when he is elected Councillor of the City Council of L'Hospitalet.
- From 1983 onwards he occupies different relevant positions in the City Council and on the 13th of May 1994 he is appointed City Mayor. During that period he worked both as a Mayor and as a Provincial Deputy at the Regional Government of Barcelona.
- On May 1995 he becomes the main candidate of the Socialist party for City Mayor in L'Hospitalet and he is elected City Mayor by absolute majority. He will be re-elected in the municipal elections in 1999, May 2003 and 2007.
- Between 1992 and 1999, Celestino Corbacho worked at the municipality and was also a member of the Parliament of Catalonia.
- He is involved with the challenges of municipal policies and he plays an essential role in the Board of directors of the Federation of Municipalities of Catalonia (1995-2004), being Vice President of this organ between 1999 and 2001.
- Between 1999 and 2003, Corbacho is the President of the Metropolitan Company of Transportation and is appointed Second Vice President of the Department of Metropolitan Transport. Apart from his tasks within the municipality, he is also appointed President of the Commission of Citizens' Security and Civil Protection of the Spanish Federation of Municipalities and Provinces (FEMP) and a member of the Executive Commission in January 2004.
- Since May 2006, he is a permanent member of the Institutional Commission of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe and he is Spokesman of the Socialist Group in the Spanish Federation of Municipalities and Provinces (FEMP) at present.
- The 1st of July 2003 he was appointed First Vice President and Delegate Deputy of International Relations and Citizen Participation in the Regional Government of Barcelona. The 22nd of April 2004 became President of this institution.
- At present he is First Secretary of the Federation of the Socialist Party of Catalonia in L'Hospitalet (Congress of May 2005). Throughout his political career he has occupied different posts in the Socialist Party of Catalonia: First Secretary of the Federation of L'Hospitalet and spokesman of the Socialist Group in the Metropolitan Area of Barcelona (1995-1999); member of the National Executive Board of the Socialist Party of Catalonia and Secretary of Municipal Policies since June 2000.
- In 2000 he was also a member of the political commission of the PSOE until the 35th Federal Congress of the PSOE, held in July, when he was elected member of the Federal Committee.
Minister of Industry, Tourism and Commerce
Miguel Sebastian Gascon • Born in Madrid, the 13th of May 1957.
- Degree in Economic Science and Business at the Complutense University of Madrid.
- PhD in Economy at the University of Minnesota (U.S.A.) and at the Complutense University of Madrid.
- He has published several books and many articles in specialised magazines, both national and foreign, as well as many other articles in different media. He has been a collaborator for the weekly supplement "Mercados" of El Mundo.
- He has been Assistant Director of the Magazine "Moneda y Credito" and member of the FEDEA and NOMISMA Scientific Committees. He teaches Foundations of the Economic Analysis at the Faculty of Economic Sciences of the Complutense University of Madrid.
- He has worked at the General Administration Department of the Ministry of Economy and Financial Affairs and also at the Studies' Department of the Bank of Spain.
- He has been General Director of InterMoney, Director of the Studies' Department and General Sub director of the Bank Bilbao Vizcaya (BBV) and, then, of the Bank Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria (BBVA), after the merger of those financial institutions.
- He has been a consulting advisor for different multilateral organisations.
- He has been a member of the Executive Committee of the ICCBE (International Conference of Commercial Bank Economists) and of the Board of Directors of the AEEFI (Spanish Association of International Economy and Finance).
- During the 70's, he was a member of the PSP until it merged with the PSOE.
- He worked in the Economic Programme of the Socialist Party (PSOE) during the General Election of 2004, he was the Director of "Economistas 2004" and he was Economic Advisor of Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero.
- In April 2004, he was appointed Director of the Office for Economic Affairs of the President of the Government (with the rank of Secretary of State).
- In 2005 he was appointed coordinator of the Spanish Government for the Lisbon Strategy, Mr. Lisbon, and person in charge of the National Reform Programme (PNR).
- He was a candidate of the PSOE for Mayor of Madrid in the municipal election of May 2007.
Minister of Environment, Rural and Seaside Areas
Elena Espinosa Mangana • Born in Orense, 21th of March 1960.
- Degree in Economic Science and Business in the University of Santiago de Compostela.
- She worked at the Hospital Xeral in Vigo, at the Office for Industrial Promotion of the Municipality of Vigo and at the Urgent Re-industrialisation Area in Vigo.
- President of the Port Authority of Vigo (1988-1996).
- Advisor at the Galician Institute of Technical Medicine.
- Director of Finance and Administration and Assistant Director of the Presidency of the Rodman Group (1998-2004).
- Minister of Agriculture, Fishing and Food since the 18th of April 2004.
- Elected Congress Deputy for Orense in the General Election of last 9th of March 2008.
Minister of Public Administrations
Elena Salgado Mendez • Born in Orense in 1949, she is Industrial Engineer specialised in Energy, Degree in Economic Science specialised in Structure and Master in Quantitative Management Methods.
- She was Director of the Studies' Department of the Institute for Small and Average Enterprises at the Ministry of Industry (1982-1984).
- General Director of Staff Costs and Public Pensions of the Ministry of Economy and Financial Affairs (1985-1991).
- General Secretary of Communications of the Ministry of Public Works, Transportation and Environment (1991-1996).
- Director of Lenci Consulting (1997-2002).
- Delegate Advisor of Vallermoso Telecom (2002-2003).
- President of 11811 Nueva Informacion Telefonica (a subsidiary of Telegate AG) during 2003.
- Member of the Administrative Board of Abertis Telecom (2004).
- Minister of Health and Consumers' Affairs between April 2004 and the 8th of July 2007.
- Minister of Public Administrations between the 9th of July 2007 and April 2008.
- Deputy of the PSOE for Cantabria in the General Election of last 9th of March 2008.
Minister of Culture
Cesar Antonio Molina Sanchez • Born in La Coruna, in 1952. Degree in Law and Information Science. PhD cum laude with a three-volume essay on literary press in Spain.
- Teacher of Theory and Literary Criticism in the Complutense University of Madrid and teacher of Humanities and Journalism in the Carlos III University over the last eight years. He was also coordinator of the courses of the Humanities Department of the Summer University in El Escorial.
- Between 1985 and 1996 he worked in the magazines Cambio 16 and Diario 16, becoming Assistant Director and person in charge of the sections of culture and shows, as well as of the supplements entitled Culturas and Libros.
- In 1996 he became the Director-Management of the Fine Arts Association (Circulo de Bellas Artes).
- In May 2004 he was appointed Director of the Cervantes Institute.
- Deputy of the PSOE for La Coruna in the General Election of last 9th of March 2008.
- He has published more than thirty books, mainly essays, prose and poetry. His poetry has appeared in numerous anthologies and it has been translated to different languages. In 2005 he published a book of essays entitled En honor de Hermes, a book of poems entitled En el mar de anforas and a novel entitled Fuga del amor, and in 2006 he published the anthology of poems entitled El rumor del tiempo.
- Minister of Culture since last 9th of July 2007.
Minister of Health Care and Consumers' Affairs
Bernart Soria Escoms • Born in Carlet (Valencia).
- Degree in Medicine, PhD in Medicine.
- Extraordinary Chairman of Regenerative Medicine
- He studied in Germany, with Edwin Neher and Bert Sakmann (Nobel Award winner in 1991) and in the United Kingdom.
- President of the Spanish Society of Biophysics (1997-2000), of the Spanish Society of Physiological Science (1996-98) and of the Spanish Society of Diabetes (2000-2004).
- Director of the Centre of Molecular Biology and Regenerative Medicine of Andalusia (CABIMER).
• Minister of Health and Consumers Affairs since last 6th of July 2007.
- Congress Deputy for Alicante in the General Election of last 9th of March 2008.
Minister of Housing
Beatriz Corredor Sierra • Born in Madrid the 1st of July 1968. Married. Three daughters.
- Degree in Law in the Autonomous University of Madrid, 1986-1991.
- She took part in the public examination to become a member of the Body of Registrars of Deeds and Mercantile Registrars, 1989-1993.
- She became a member of the Body of Registrars in 1993.
- She became a member of the PSOE in 2003. Local Association of San Blas, Madrid.
- Secretary at the Women and Equality Secretariat, Local Executive Commission of San Blas, since 2004.
- Councillor of the Municipality of Madrid since September 2007. Spokesman of the Department of Housing and Spokesman at Barajas district.
- Teacher at the Academia de Madrid, for students preparing to sit the examination for Registrars 1993-1999.
- Substitute at different Land Registries between 1993-1994 in Palamos (Gerona), Plasencia (Caceres) and Ponferrada 2 (Leon)
- Holder of office at different Land Registries between 1995-2007 in Valencia de Alcantara (Caceres), Campillos (Malaga) and -since 2001- Lillo (Toledo)
- Director of the Department of Registrar Studies in Castile-La Mancha between 2002 and 2006.
- Member of the Writing Board of the magazine entitled Revista Juridica de Castilla-La Mancha (published by the Department of Public Administrations and by the University of Castile-La Mancha), 2005-2006.
- Lecturer at the Seminar on Land Law at the Faculty of Law of the University of Castile-La Mancha in Toledo, between 2002-2007; also at the Faculty of Law of Ciudad Real in 2005.
- Lecturer at the Summer Course entitled "THE REGISTRAR SECURITY SYSTEM ACCORDING TO THE SPANISH LAWS" ("EL REGIMEN DE LAS GARANTIAS REGISTRALES EN EL ORDENAMIENTO JURIDICO ESPANOL"); round table entitled "The interest types in mortgage loans and the rounding up clauses" ("Los tipos de interes en los prestamos hipotecarios y las clausulas de redondeo"). University of Castile-La Mancha, Faculty of Law and Social Science, Ciudad Real; July 2004.
- Lecturer at the 1st and 2nd Courses for Specialists in Land Law, Urbanisation and Construction, University of Castile-La Mancha, Centre of Consumer Affairs' Studies, Toledo, 2005 and 2006.
- Board Member and Registrar at the Board of Examiners during the public examination to enter the Association of Land and Mercantile Registrars of Spain, 2005-2006 (first woman to occupy such post in these exams).
Minister of Science and Innovation
Cristina Garmendia Mendizabal • Born in San Sebastian (Guipuzcoa) the 21st of February 1962
- Degree in Biology. Specialist in Genetics.
- Dissertation entitled "A Study of Metanogenic Bacteria" ("Estudio sobre bacterias metanogenas"). "A" score.
- PhD in Molecular Biology at the Laboratory of Doctor Margarita Salas, Severo Ochoa Molecular Biology Centre (CBMSO). Autonomous University of Madrid. 1989
- Doctoral Thesis: "Functional Interactions between Polymerase and the Terminal Protein of Bacteriofagus ø29" ("Interacciones Funcionales entre la Polimerasa y la Proteina Terminal del Bacteriofago ø29). Cum Laude and Extraordinary Award.
- MBA. Master of Business Administration Executive, June 1992. University of Navarre, IESE, Institute for Higher Business Studies.
- 2000-2008 President and Delegate Advisor of Genetrix, S.L.
- 2004-2008 President of Cellerix, S.L. Ratified by the new Consortium of international investment (Roche, Novartis, LSP and Ventech)
- 2004-2008 President of Sensia, S.L.
2004-2008 Sole agent of Biotherapix Molecular Medicines, S.L.U. acting on behalf of Genetrix, S. L.
- 2006-2008 Sole agent of Coretherapix, S.L.
- 2005-2008 Sole agent of Imbiosis, S.L.
- 2005-2008 Advisor of Biobide, S.L.
- 2004-2008 President of the Board of the Inbiomed Foundation
- 2007-2008 Joint administrator of Fenix Biotech, S.L.
- 2007-2008 Independent Advisor and President of the Appointments and Retributions Commission of Everis, S.L.
- 2006- 2008 Member of the Board of the Bankinter Innovation Foundation.
- 2008 Executive Advisor of the Board of Directors of Innobasque.
- 2005-2008. Association of Biotechnological Enterprises (ASEBIO)
• 2006-2008. Blood and Tissue Centre in Barcelona.
- Member of the Advisor Scientific Committee
• 2006-2008. Spanish Confederation of Business Organisations (CEOE)
- Member of the Directive Board.
- 2005-2008. Department of Science and Technology (OCYT)
- Member of the observatory for science and technology (OCYT) of the Office for Economic Affairs of the President.
- 2007-2008. Genoma Spain.
- Member of the Business Council.
- 2007-2008 Botin Foundation.
- Member of the Council of Advisors.
- 2007-2008 Award Principe Felipe to Business Excellence
- Member of the Jury of the Principe Felipe Award to Business Excellence
- 2007-2008 Everis Foundation Awards 2006
- Member of the Jury of the Everis Foundation Awards 2006
- 2007-2008 ESADE
- Member of the Professional Council
- 2007-2008 University Francisco de Vitoria
- Member of the Council of Advisors
- 2008 University Antonio de Nebrija
- Member of the Council of Advisors
- 2008 Centre for Health Sciences in Aragon
- Member of the External Board of Advisors of the Scientific Committee
Ministry of Equality
Bibiana Aido Almagro • Born in Alcala de los Gazules the 2nd of February 1977
- Degree in Business Administration and Management. (1994-1999) University of Cadiz.
- BA (HONS) in International Business Administration. University of Northumbria, Newcastle, UK.
- PhD Programme on Business Economy and Management. University of Cadiz, Spain.
- Provincial Delegate of the Department of Culture of the Regional Government of Andalusia in Cadiz
- At present, director of the Agency for the Development of Flamenco of the Department of Culture of the Regional Government of Andalusia, Junta de Andalucia.
- Member of the JSA-Cadiz in 1993.
- Founder of the JSA in Alcala de los Gazules.
- Secretary of the Local Committee of the JSA in Alcala de los Gazules (1993-1995).
- Secretary of the Press and Communication Department of the CEP of JSA-Cadiz (1995-1997).
- General Vice Secretary of the CEP of JSA-Cadiz (1997-1999).
- Member of the JSA Committee in Andalusia (2000-2006).
- Member of the PSOE since 1995.
- Member of the Provincial Committee of the PSOE since 1997.
- Member of the socialist list during the Municipal Election of 13th of June 1999 in Cadiz, number 12.
- Member of the socialist list for Cadiz during the Regional Election of 12th of March 2000, number 7.
- At present, secretary of Equality at the Provincial Executive Commission of the PSOE in Cadiz, and no. 2 in the candidature of the PSOE for the Parliament of Andalusia.